
Elyse always gives me a hard time that I don't think deep enough. I don't sit long enough to think, at least that is always my excuse. There was a talk today in church that asked the question of, "If in our hour of quiet, what comes to our mind? Is it focused on Christ and the plan of happiness? Or is it filled with lists and clutter, movies or recent books. Does it wander and cavort over everywhich thing that has filled our life of late?" I had to really stop and think. What is filled in my mind in those RARE quiet moments. I had a little aha moment. I don't make quiet moments. Last year I got into the wonderful habit of going to the temple every other week. It was the first time in 21 years of parenting that that has been able to happen. I loved every minute of it. It became a habit that was necessary to my spirit. Glenn always says that the temple, for him, is like a deep breath. I love that thought. Anyhow, as summer came, my temple attendance had to be curtailed. Come september when it was time for me to start up again, I noticed that I could not sit still. I could not control my wandering mind. I had to re-teach myself how to sit quietly. I know that sounds strange but I had gotten out of the habit of meditation, so to speak. So today was my wake up call. I need to create those quiet moments so that I CAN reflect. I don't know how long it will take me to bring that habit back into my life...but I know I need it. Our spirits need it. I'm not sure what my mind will be doing in those quiet times but I hope to eventually be able to quickly bring to my mind the Savior and his atonement. I believe that that is what the speaker wanted me to strive for.
8.09.2009
Just thoughts..
Posted by gr8apey at 11:21 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
What great thoughts--thanks for sharing. I will try to make going to the temple like a deep breath. I love your blog!!
Post a Comment